A study permit and a temporary resident visa are NOT the same thing. 

To put it simply: 

  • A temporary resident visa (TRV, also known as a visitor visa) allows you to enter and stay in Canada.
  • A study permit grants you the status of a student in Canada. 

You need a study permit only if you plan to engage in academic studies program lasting longer than 6 months; but a temporary resident visa is required to enter Canada, unless your country has an agreement with Canada allowing travel with an Electron Travel Authorization (eTA). 

Generally, you do not need to file for a separate application for TRV along with your study permit application. If the latter is successful, you will receive your TRV along with your study permit.

Please check with Immigration and Citizenship Canada for up-to-date information and the exact requirement: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada.html 

Did this answer your question?